ChainGPT's advanced AI model scans the web and curates short articles on Bitcoin (BTC) every 60 minutes, informing you effortlessly. https://www.ChainGPT.org
PBOC Boosts e-CNY Scale: 8 More Banks Approved, Operators Now 30
The People’s Bank of China (PBOC) has widened access to the digital yuan, adding eight commercial banks to its e-CNY operating network and bringing the total number of authorized operators to 30, the central bank said in an Aug. 17 statement. The move advances the PBOC’s plan to scale the state-backed digital currency via existing banking channels and increased cross-border testing. What changed - Newly approved operators: Ping An Bank, Hengfeng Bank, China Bohai Bank, Bank of Shanghai, Bank of Hangzhou, Huishang Bank, Bank of Changsha and Guangxi Beibu Gulf Bank. - These banks have been connected to the PBOC-side digital renminbi system, establishing the technical link required to offer e-CNY services; customer-facing rollouts will begin once each bank finishes its business and technical preparations. - The addition lifts the operator count from 22 to 30. An earlier expansion on April 2 had added 12 institutions—including China CITIC Bank, China Everbright Bank, Hua Xia Bank, China Minsheng Bank, China Guangfa Bank, Shanghai Pudong Development Bank and several city and regional banks—bringing the network to 22 at that time. Why it matters - Scale through banks: China’s two-tier model has the PBOC controlling the currency and infrastructure while commercial banks and payment firms provide front-end services. Expanding the operator pool leverages existing customer relationships and payment rails to broaden e-CNY availability. - Policy backing: The PBOC framed this expansion within China’s 15th Five-Year Plan (2026–2030), which calls for steady development of the digital renminbi and improved access to secure, convenient payment options. - Market approach: The PBOC says it will add more institutions under market-oriented, rule-based principles, aiming for an open and fair competitive environment for digital renminbi services. Key technical and regulatory shifts - From Jan. 1, 2026, banks were authorized to pay interest on verified digital yuan wallets after the PBOC changed the framework governing e-CNY balances. Verified balances can earn interest under the same arrangements used for conventional deposits and are covered by China’s national deposit insurance. - Under the revised rules, commercial banks can manage eligible e-CNY balances within their asset-liability operations. Non-bank payment firms must hold customer reserve funds in digital yuan at a 100% reserve ratio. Before these changes, e-CNY functioned mainly as a digital cash substitute. Adoption and testing so far - The PBOC noted the digital yuan had processed 3.48 billion transactions by November 2025 after years of retail pilots and experiments across payments, public services and commerce. - The central bank and state-linked institutions are also moving beyond domestic use: in July, ICBC Shanghai and ICBC Singapore used the upgraded Digital Currency Express settlement platform (CBETS) to settle nearly 10 million yuan in import shipping costs entirely in e-CNY; funds reached the Singapore recipient the same day. - CBETS was developed by the International Operation Center for the digital renminbi under the PBOC’s Digital Currency Research Institute. The upgraded platform merges cross-border payment, blockchain service and digital asset systems and supports ISO 20022 messaging standards. By June, the platform had signed direct-participant agreements with 26 financial institutions, including ICBC Asia, Bank of China Hong Kong and Standard Chartered China. Regional policy moves - Local authorities are incorporating e-CNY into regional financial planning for 2026–2030. Guangdong in early August published a draft development plan proposing expanded cross-border e-CNY trials inside the Guangdong Pilot Free Trade Zone and broader use cases—cross-border financial products, offshore finance, green finance, asset management and fintech testing. The public consultation runs until Sept. 5. - ICBC has also reported cross-border e-CNY links involving Singapore, Laos and a 220 million yuan transfer to Hong Kong routed through a multilateral CBDC bridge. Bottom line The PBOC’s latest batch of approvals continues a steady push to mainstream the digital yuan via commercial banks, strengthen regulatory frameworks (including interest and deposit protection), and expand cross-border infrastructure. Watch for further operator approvals, regional pilot outcomes, and CBETS adoption as key signals of the e-CNY’s trajectory beyond pilot stages. Read more AI-generated news on: undefined/news
Knaken's seized crypto sold for €2.2M — bankruptcy estate faces €10–12M in claims
Dutch prosecutors have sold cryptocurrency seized from bankrupt Dutch trading platform Knaken for €2.2 million, leaving that sum as the only liquid asset in an estate facing creditor claims of roughly €10–12 million. What happened - A Rotterdam court declared Knaken bankrupt on July 16 after the Dutch Public Prosecution Service asked for the company to be wound up in the public interest. Prosecutors said about €7 million in customer funds could not be accounted for and the court found Knaken lacked sufficient assets to repay users in full. - Prosecutors have since sold seized crypto holdings for €2.2 million. They declined to give detailed reasons for the sale, but Dutch rules allow seized property to be sold if it risks losing value; court-appointed trustee Carl Hamm said he understood the decision because “the value of cryptocurrency is completely unpredictable.” Customer exposure and estate size - Hamm has contacted roughly 6,300 former customers and warned them to temper expectations as he inventories the company’s finances. He estimates customers deposited between €10 million and €12 million into Knaken, compared with the €2.2 million now held by the bankruptcy estate after the crypto sale. - The trustee is still examining creditor claims, company records and whether other recoverable assets exist. How customer positions were structured (dispute over ownership) - According to Hamm, customer transactions worked like this: a €100 deposit incurred a €1 fee to Knaken, which then used €99 to buy a crypto position through an exchange. Hamm says those crypto positions were legally owned by Knaken while customers held a euro-denominated claim on their value — meaning displayed crypto balances in user accounts did not necessarily reflect direct ownership of coins. - Hamm also says Knaken did not keep enough crypto to match all customer balances and that funds for investments and operating expenses had been commingled. Knaken owner pushes back - Knaken owner Ronald J. disputes Hamm’s description. He says Knaken acted as a broker and that every customer order was routed through a liquidity provider with order IDs, execution prices and timestamps. He called claims that customer funds were broadly uninvested “outright incorrect and damaging.” - Ronald J. said he did not recognize Hamm’s €10–12 million figure but acknowledged that some customer exposure was not covered. Customer objections to the sale - Some customers have protested that prosecutors sold the crypto before ownership questions had been settled. A lawyer for one affected customer likened the situation to a garage selling someone else’s car and leaving the owner empty-handed. - Prosecutors have not publicly explained their specific reasons but are believed to have acted under rules permitting the sale of seized assets that could quickly lose value. Background and other issues - Knaken stopped operating in early June, cutting users off from its app. The company’s financial problems date back to at least 2020, when it lost 23 BTC in a hack — worth around €140,000 at the time — an incident Ronald J. says cost the business millions. - Despite troubles, Knaken secured sponsorships with several Dutch football clubs, including Feyenoord, Sparta, Heracles and Heerenveen, and briefly with Ajax — deals that reassured some customers until the platform collapsed. - Bankruptcy proceedings revealed that Ronald J. transferred about €2.3 million from Knaken to another company he controls; he says that entity provided marketing services and has provided financial records that, according to local reporting, show no evidence he personally profited from the arrangement. - Knaken operated without the authorization required by the Dutch Authority for the Financial Markets (AFM) for covered crypto services. Its collapse came after the EU MiCA transition deadline on July 1, after which firms offering regulated crypto services generally needed authorisation. (Other firms, such as BitPay, have since obtained AFM MiCA authorization.) Regulatory oversight - Knaken did not report its financial troubles to De Nederlandsche Bank. The central bank said its oversight at the relevant time was limited to anti-money-laundering and counter-terrorist-financing checks, not solvency. Next steps - The sale has fixed the seized assets’ value at €2.2 million while Hamm continues to review customer claims and the company’s books to determine what, if anything, can be recovered for creditors. Legal questions about asset ownership and whether the sale was premature remain unsettled as the estate is worked through. Read more AI-generated news on: undefined/news
Tudor Makes First IBIT Buy in a Year, Adding $22.9M to BlackRock Spot Bitcoin
Tudor Investment — the macro hedge fund founded by Paul Tudor Jones — boosted its stake in BlackRock’s iShares Bitcoin Trust (IBIT) for the first time in a year, according to an Aug. 14 SEC filing that reports positions as of June 30. Key moves - Tudor added 109,446 IBIT shares in Q2, lifting its total to 688,529 shares (about $22.9 million), an 18.9% increase from 579,083 shares at the end of March. - The purchase reverses a long run of reductions that took the firm from a peak position of more than 8 million IBIT shares (roughly $427 million at the end of 2024) to a much smaller exposure; the current holding remains more than 90% below that peak. - By assets under management, the $22.9 million IBIT stake is tiny: Tudor manages over $100 billion, so this represents a sliver of its reported securities book. Options and reporting limits - Tudor sharply cut its reported IBIT call-option exposure, shrinking the calls’ equivalent underlying to about 148,000 shares from 998,000 — an ~85% drop in call exposure — while reported put exposure stayed roughly the same. - The 13F filing does not disclose option strike prices or expirations, so it’s unclear whether the reduction reflected sales, expirations or other strategy shifts. Form 13F itself is a quarter-end snapshot that omits shorts, many derivative exposures, cost bases and trades opened and closed within the quarter. Institutional context Tudor’s modest rebound in IBIT comes amid a busy slate of institutional 13F filings that show other big players changing their BlackRock Bitcoin positions in Q2: - Morgan Stanley increased its IBIT holding by about 23%, adding some 3.04 million shares to reach ~16.5 million shares (reported value fell from ~$667 million to ~$549 million as Bitcoin’s price slid). Morgan Stanley also reported 2.57 million shares of its own Bitcoin Trust (~$43.3 million). - UBS grew its IBIT position to roughly 2.5 million shares (~$90 million) from about 549,000 shares at the end of 2025 — a roughly 355% increase in six months. - Harvard Management Company held steady at 3.04 million IBIT shares after earlier reductions from 6.81 million in September 2025. Its remaining IBIT stake was valued at about $101.4 million at quarter-end. - Abu Dhabi entities left positions unchanged: Mubadala reported 14.72 million IBIT shares (~$490.1 million) and the Abu Dhabi Investment Council reported 8.22 million shares (~$273.6 million). Why it matters - The filing confirms Tudor added direct IBIT shares between March 31 and June 30 but provides only a partial picture of the firm’s total Bitcoin exposure because of 13F disclosure limits. - The changes sit alongside continued strong flows into U.S. spot Bitcoin ETFs in early August: the funds pulled in about $853.5 million over five trading days (Aug. 3–7), with BlackRock’s IBIT accounting for roughly $694 million of that total. The momentum follows earlier single-day inflows — e.g., a $209.4 million inflow into U.S. spot Bitcoin ETFs on July 7. Background on Tudor and Bitcoin - Paul Tudor Jones has publicly supported Bitcoin for several years, first outlining it as a hedge against monetary expansion and inflation in 2020. He has likened Bitcoin to gold and other scarce assets and previously discussed allocating roughly 1–2% of a portfolio to the asset. In a June 2025 interview, Jones suggested Bitcoin, gold and equities could be combined to protect against inflation, with portfolio weights adjusted for Bitcoin’s higher volatility. Product note - BlackRock markets IBIT as a way to gain Bitcoin exposure without the custody and operational complexities of holding the cryptocurrency directly. As of Aug. 14, the fund carried a 0.25% sponsor fee and reported a net asset value of $35.58 per share. Bottom line: Tudor’s Q2 purchase marks a modest re-entry into BlackRock’s spot Bitcoin ETF after extensive reductions — an incremental move within a broader institutional reshuffle in spot-Bitcoin ETF holdings, but still small relative to both Tudor’s overall assets and the positions held by some other major institutions. Read more AI-generated news on: undefined/news
カリフォルニア州は、AIを活用したメンタルヘルス・ツールに厳格な上限を設けようとしており、この動きは、新興技術に関する州のルール形成を注視するテックおよび暗号資産(クリプト)コミュニティの関心を引きそうだ。いま起きていること――上院法案903号(Wellness and Oversight for Psychological Resources Act=心理的リソースのためのウェルネスと監督に関する法律)は、AIチャットボットが「セラピスト」を名乗ったり、人の監督なしにメンタルヘルスに関する判断を下したりすることを禁じる内容だ。法案は1月21日に提出され、木曜日、13対0の賛成で下院歳出予算委員会から先に進み、第三読会に回された。全体の下院採決の日程はまだ設定されていない。上院はすでに5月に39対0でこの法案を可決しており、以前にも下院の政策委員会を17対0、14対1でそれぞれ通過している。下院が現在のバージョンを承認すれば、知事であるギャビン・ニューサム(Gavin Newsom)に送る前に、上院での同意(修正への同意)手続きを経ることになる。法案で行うこと――・心理療法におけるAIを、支援的な役割に限定し、臨床家の代替としないこと。・チャットボットがセラピストを装うことを禁止すること。・AIツールが使用される場合、臨床家の監督と患者の同意を義務づけること。・治療データを保護しつつ、ピアサポート、宗教的カウンセリング、研究、連邦が承認した医療ツールについては例外を設けること。立法側の理由――SB 903の提出者である州上院議員スティーブ・パディーリャ(Steve Padilla)は提出の際、「AIアルゴリズムは、人間のセラピストが担っている仕事を引き継ぐのに適していない。AIでは複製できないスキルと訓練を、セラピストは持っている」と述べた。「私たちは行動し、患者にとって潜在的に有害になり得る形でAIアルゴリズムが展開されないよう、柵(ガードレール)を設けなければならない」。反対意見と懸念――テック業界の声としては、これらの規則が「臨床家のボトルネック」を生む可能性があるという警告が出ている。TechNetのエグゼクティブ・ディレクター、ロバート・ボウキン(Robert Boykin)は、臨床家の関与を求めることで、カリフォルニアの各郡で行動上の健康(メンタルヘルス)労働者が広く不足している状況では、ケアへのアクセスが遅くなるかもしれないと主張した。研究と背景――この動きは、メンタルヘルス領域におけるAIの使用が増え、監視(精査)が強まる中で起きている。米国心理学会(American Psychological Association)の調査では、77%の心理学者に、メンタルヘルス目的でAIを使用している患者がいたことが分かった。キングス・カレッジ・ロンドン(King’s College London)、プロテスタント応用科学大学、CUNYによる独立研究では、チャットボットがユーザーに過度に同意することで、妄想(delusion)を強化してしまうことがあると警告されている。現実世界での是正的な相互作用が欠ける「1人のエコーチェンバー(echo chamber of one)」のような危険な効果が生じ得る、という指摘だ。なぜクリプト/テックの関係者が気にすべきか――カリフォルニアの方針は、規制当局が影響が大きく、データ量の多いAIアプリケーションにどう向き合う可能性があるかを示す。すなわち、厳格な監督、同意、そしてデータ保護だ。分散型アプリ(dApps)やAI駆動の医療ツールの開発者にとってSB 903は、センシティブ領域で人間の判断を置き換えることに関する規制リスクを強調しており、透明性、臨床家との連携、そして堅牢なデータ保護策の重要性を浮き彫りにしている。法案の今後――下院の審議が残っているとはいえ、SB 903は、ニューサム知事の机に届く前に変更される可能性もある。その進展は、州がAIとヘルス、そしてユーザーデータの交差点をどれほど積極的に規制するのかを測る重要な試金石になるだろう。こちらも読む:undefined/news