BitMart exchange shutdown

BitMart’s slow-motion collapse just turned into a public standoff. The crypto exchange, which announced weeks ago that it would wind down entirely, is now facing an ultimatum from its own users and staff: prove the money is still there, or expect regulators and lawyers to get involved. The BitMart exchange shutdown has moved from a routine wind-down notice into something far messier, with accusations of blocked withdrawals, unpaid salaries, and a founder who says the whole thing is a hacked-account hoax.

Key takeaways

  • BitMart will stop trading on Aug. 26 and shut down completely by Jan. 31, 2027, after halting new deposits and registrations on July 26.

  • Users and employees demanded reserve disclosures, an independent audit, and a repayment plan by Aug. 19, or evidence goes to regulators and law enforcement.

  • Founder Sheldon Xia called the demands “fabricated rumors” from a hacked account and said he would file a police report.

  • Some users say they have been locked out of withdrawals since July 26, with one claiming $10 million stuck on the platform.

  • Employees say they never received July salaries or compensation tied to the shutdown decision.

BitMart Announces Shutdown Timeline

BitMart’s exit from the market is happening in stages, not all at once. The exchange confirmed that Aug. 26 will be the last day users can trade on the platform, with operations ceasing entirely by Jan. 31, 2027. That’s roughly a year and a half of wind-down runway, but the exchange stopped accepting new registrations and deposits back on July 26, effectively freezing the platform’s growth the moment the shutdown was announced.

Why does the timeline matter? Because every day between now and January 2027 is a window in which users still need access to their own money — and right now, many say they don’t have it.

Users and Employees Demand Transparency and Compensation

A public letter posted to BitMart’s own account gave founder Sheldon Xia until Aug. 19 to answer basic questions about where user funds actually are. This wasn’t a vague complaint — it named specific individuals and set a hard deadline for a response.

Demands for Reserve Disclosures and Audit

The letter called on Xia and business partner Yi Li to disclose BitMart’s wallets, assets, liabilities, and usable reserves. Beyond that, it asked the exchange to submit to an independent third-party audit and publish a detailed repayment plan users could actually verify. The letter also pressed Yi Li specifically to explain the source of funds in wallets allegedly linked to her, which the authors said may have held tens of millions of dollars — though they were careful to note this wasn’t proof of wrongdoing, just a question that needed answering.

Employee Salary and Compensation Issues

Staff grievances sit right alongside customer complaints. According to the letter, some BitMart employees have not received their July salaries or compensation owed after the shutdown decision was made. Xia pushed back on the idea that employees were being treated any differently than clients, saying everyone — staff included — is being handled as a client with no special privileges when it comes to asset access.

Withdrawal Blockade Frustrates Users

For many BitMart users, the real problem isn’t the shutdown timeline — it’s not being able to touch their own money right now. Multiple users report they have been unable to withdraw funds since the July 26 announcement, well before the official trading cutoff even arrives.

One user going by BeardStaff said their assets had been inaccessible since that date and claimed a VIP manager removed them from a Telegram support group the same day withdrawals stalled. BeardStaff put the amount locked on the platform at roughly $10 million. Onchain investigator ZachXBT weighed in publicly too, arguing that if BitMart actually has the funds, the exchange should simply return them instead of issuing vague statements.

BitMart had previously said withdrawals would stay available but could face additional verification checks, and warned that high request volumes might slow processing. That explanation hasn’t satisfied users still waiting weeks later.

Founder’s Response and Legal Implications

Sheldon Xia’s answer to all of this has been denial, not disclosure — and that gap is exactly what’s fueling the standoff.

Sheldon Xia Denies the Claims

Xia dismissed the entire open letter as “fabricated rumors” originating from a hacked account, not from BitMart’s actual leadership. “We have collected full evidence of the content on X, all of which is fabricated rumors,” Xia said, adding that the exchange would file a police report and send a legal letter to X demanding technical and data forensics. He did not directly address the specific demands for reserve disclosure or a repayment plan.

Potential Legal Escalation if Demands Are Ignored

The clock is the real pressure point here. If BitMart fails to produce a verifiable asset disclosure and repayment plan by Aug. 19, the letter’s authors said they would submit evidence to regulators, law enforcement, lawyers, and media across multiple jurisdictions. That threat lands with extra weight given BitMart’s history: the exchange suffered a $196 million hack back in December 2021 and promised affected customers compensation at the time — a promise whose fulfillment status remains unclear years later.

There’s also an unanswered offer sitting on the table. Roshan Dharia, CEO of distressed investment firm Echo Base, told CoinDesk his company offered BitMart a funded restructuring package that included debtor-in-possession financing. According to Dharia, BitMart has not responded to that offer either — a silence that, paired with the founder’s hacked-account explanation, is doing little to reassure users who just want their money back before January 2027 arrives.

FAQ

When will BitMart cease all its operations?

BitMart will cease all operations by January 31, 2027, with the final trading day set for August 26, 2026.

Why are users and employees demanding transparency from BitMart?

Because many users have been unable to withdraw funds since July 26, and employees have not received their July salaries or compensation, leading to demands for reserve disclosures, an independent audit, and a repayment plan.

How has BitMart’s founder responded to the demands for financial transparency?

Founder Sheldon Xia denied the claims as fabricated rumors originating from a hacked account and said he would file a police report and pursue legal action against the source.

What could happen if BitMart ignores the demands by the August 19 deadline?

If BitMart does not respond, evidence of the alleged issues may be submitted to regulators, law enforcement, lawyers, and media across multiple jurisdictions.

Article produced with the assistance of artificial intelligence and reviewed by the editorial team.