According to Axios, Senate Democrats on Wednesday urged the Government Accountability Office to audit the scope and cost of President Trump's White House ballroom project as questions mount over who is paying for a broader renovation effort. The article says the East Wing has been demolished, a new helipad is being added, and scaffolding now surrounds the White House's front columns, while funding sources remain unclear and have prompted ethics concerns.

Axios reported that one estimate, cited exclusively by The Washington Post, puts Trump's construction projects, including upgrades to Lafayette Square and other renovations, at at least $927 million. The White House said Trump is carrying out long-overdue renovations, while a senior administration official said the ballroom would be funded by private donations rather than taxpayer money. Reported donors include Google, Apple, Amazon and Lockheed Martin.

The article says the ballroom project was first pitched at about $200 million last year, then described by Trump earlier this year as costing between $300 million and $400 million depending on finishes. Trump later said on Truth Social that the estimate doubled because the project is about twice the size and of higher quality than the original proposal. The Washington Post reported in June that the estimate had risen to about $600 million and that taxpayer dollars were being funneled to the project.

Axios also said judges have blocked above-ground construction of the ballroom, ruling that Trump needs congressional approval to proceed. Separately, the administration pitched lawmakers on a $1 billion security plan for the renovation, including $220 million for security hardening and $180 million for a new visitor screening facility, but Republicans did not support the request.