Multiple Indian Official Twitter Accounts Hacked, NFT Content Posted
Amitoj Singh - CoinDesk
Multiple Indian political and governmental entities had their Twitter accounts compromised over the past three days, with NFT-related content posted on their feeds.
- The list includes both the government of Uttar Pradesh, India's biggest state, and the office of its chief minister, Yogi Adityanath. Also hit were the Punjab National Congress – the main opposition party in the northern state of Punjab – the University Grants Commission and the Meteorological Department.
- The chief minister's office was compromised on Saturday. The profile picture was replaced with a "bored ape," hundreds of tweets were posted and old tweets deleted.
- The account was restored and a case was registered in connection with the matter at the Cyber Crime police station in the state capital of Lucknow, according to tweets by the state government's official Twitter account.
सूचित किया जाता है कि मा. मुख्यमंत्री कार्यालय का आधिकारिक ट्विटर अकाउंट @CMOfficeUP को दिनांक 09 अप्रैल, रात्रि 12:30 बजे असामाजिक तत्वों द्वारा हैक करने का प्रयास किया गया था, इनके द्वारा कुछ ट्वीट पोस्ट किए थे जिसको तुरंत रिकवर कर लिया गया था।
— Government of UP (@UPGovt) April 9, 2022
- On Monday, the state government's account was hacked. The perpetrators tweeted a link to the "beanz army" website.
- A similar post appeared on the Punjab Congress Twitter handle.
- The linked website contained a statement saying "We have decided to give back to our community by distributing extra airdrop claims to holders of Azuki and other NFTs. Claim your airdrop of BEANZ and become involved with the Azuki ecosystem using the interactive Azuki NFT."
- All Twitter accounts compromised have been restored.
View full text