AlgoBharat, India-focused initiative of the Algorand Foundation, has announced the establishment of its India Advisory Committee to support its mission of blockchain adoption to achieve the objectives of a more inclusive economy. The 6-member committee will be chaired by RS Sharma, a former civil servant, renowned for his transformative leadership in the Government of India.
Blockchain technology holds immense potential to support India's growth narrative, and this step to establish an India Advisory Committee underscores the Algorand Foundation’s commitment to achieving this potential. AlgoBharat aims to harness blockchain's transformative power to ensure a more inclusive and equitable future for India, enhancing access to essential services and driving social parity.
The Foundation’s full India Advisory Committee is comprised of the following individuals:
1. Dr. Indu Bhushan: First ever CEO of Ayushman Bharat, Indian government agency providing national health care coverage; Senior Economist, World Bank Group; Director General, Asian Development Bank.
2. Dr. KP Krishnan: Leadership posts include Secretary, Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship; Addl Secy, Department of Land Resources, Ministry of Rural Development; Addl Secy, Dept of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance; Secy, Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council.
3. Anuradha Mitra: Held posts including Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs; Addl Secy and Financial Advisor, Ministry of Defense; Member Finance, Digital Communications Commission; Principal Advisor, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India.
4. Prashant Saran: Over three decades of experience as a financial sector regulator, including responsibility at the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for regulation of commercial banks. As a Whole Time Member of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), focused on areas of investor education and investor protection.
5. Dr. Ram Sevak Sharma: Past leadership posts include CEO, National Health Authority; Chair, Empowered Group on Vaccine Administration for Covid-19; Chair, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), Director General and Mission Director, Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
6. Ashok Pal Singh: Held posts including Founding MD and CEO, India Post Payments Bank; Joint Secy, Ministry of Finance; Dep. Director General, Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
The Algorand Foundation plans to leverage its India Advisory Committee’s expertise for strategic direction, thought leadership, public sector engagement, and active collaboration.