Crypto billionaire Justin Sun has scored a significant legal victory against World Liberty Financial (WLFI), the Trump family-backed cryptocurrency project, after a California federal judge rejected the company’s attempt to force their dispute into private, closed-door arbitration.
The ruling means Sun’s personal claims against WLFI will proceed in open court, keeping the increasingly public and bitter legal battle in full view rather than hidden behind sealed documents.
What the Ruling Actually Says
On August 20, Sun’s legal team appeared in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California to oppose World Liberty’s motion to compel arbitration — a legal maneuver that would have shifted the entire dispute into a private proceeding, away from public court records and public scrutiny. Judge James Donato, who is overseeing the case, sided with Sun on his individual claims, ruling they will remain in open court.
The judge also rejected World Liberty’s broader argument that all company-related claims should automatically go to arbitration. Instead, both parties have been ordered to meet and determine which of those additional claims should stay in court and which should be arbitrated — meaning the case isn’t fully resolved, but the most personal and high-profile portion of Sun’s lawsuit will remain public.
Sun celebrated the outcome on X:
“In a major victory, the judge ruled that all of my individual claims will remain in open court. This is a significant win.” He added a pointed argument about why he believes World Liberty fought so hard to keep things private: “I believe that World Liberty would not be fighting this hard to hide their actions if those actions were defensible, and I will not rest until the community gets the transparency it deserves.”
How This Dispute Started
Sun was one of World Liberty Financial’s earliest and largest investors, first putting in $30 million in November 2024 to help keep the fledgling platform afloat, then investing at least $45 million total in the project in exchange for WLFI governance tokens. That investment played a major role in turning what had been a struggling token sale into a $550 million raise for the platform, which launched as a decentralized finance project associated with President Trump and his family, including sons Eric Trump, Donald Trump Jr., and Barron Trump.
According to the lawsuit Sun filed in April 2026, World Liberty secretly built a hidden “backdoor” function into the WLFI smart contract — code giving the project’s team centralized, unilateral power to freeze, restrict, or even destroy any token holder’s assets without warning or due process. Sun alleges World Liberty later used that exact backdoor against him personally, freezing his wallet containing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of WLFI tokens and stripping his governance voting rights.
Sun’s complaint further claims that after freezing his assets, World Liberty pressured him to invest hundreds of millions more into the project’s USD1 stablecoin, and that his tokens were frozen as retaliation when he refused and instead tried to assert his legal rights. He alleges similar freeze-and-burn control mechanisms exist within the USD1 stablecoin itself, raising broader concerns for anyone holding that asset. Sun’s lawsuit seeks hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.
Shortly after filing suit, Sun says he obtained a court order specifically prohibiting World Liberty from burning, destroying, reallocating, or otherwise permanently disposing of any of his tokens — a protective measure he says was necessary because World Liberty had both threatened to destroy his holdings and had built itself the technical power to actually do it.
World Liberty’s Countersuit
World Liberty has not simply denied the allegations — the company went on the offensive with its own lawsuit against Sun, filed in Florida state court in May 2026, accusing him of defamation. According to that complaint, World Liberty claims Sun launched a “scorched-earth pressure campaign” against the company after his tokens were frozen, then publicly “smeared” the project on X, including nicknaming it “World Tyranny” and calling its officials “bad actors.” World Liberty alleges Sun’s public statements were false and caused the company reputational and business harm, and it’s seeking a jury trial along with undisclosed damages.
World Liberty maintains it did nothing wrong, arguing that its ability to freeze tokens was disclosed publicly and was included in its formal agreements with Sun. The company has separately accused Sun of improperly transferring WLFI tokens to Binance-linked accounts and engaging in short-selling activity around the token’s launch — allegations Sun has called baseless and politically motivated.
A Question of Whether World Liberty Can Even Pay
Beyond the freeze allegations, Sun has raised a pointed financial question: whether World Liberty actually has the capital to cover a judgment if he wins. He’s pointed out that USD1’s roughly $4 billion market capitalization represents user collateral deposited into the stablecoin — not company-owned funds World Liberty could freely use to pay damages.
Sun has also highlighted that World Liberty reportedly posted approximately five billion WLFI tokens as collateral on Dolomite, a crypto lending platform that was co-founded by World Liberty’s own chief technology officer — a structure Sun has compared to the kind of complex, self-dealing borrowing arrangements that contributed to FTX’s 2022 collapse.
What Happens Next
This ruling doesn’t decide who’s right on the merits — it only determines where the fight will happen. With Sun’s individual claims confirmed to stay in open court, future filings, evidence, and testimony in this portion of the case will be subject to public scrutiny rather than sealed away in private arbitration.
Meanwhile, the parties still need to work out which of the remaining company-related claims proceed through the courts versus arbitration, meaning further rulings are still to come. For now, one of crypto’s most closely watched legal battles — pitting a major industry figure against a project directly tied to the sitting U.S. president’s family — will keep playing out in full public view.
