According to the BBC, security forces in Zambia seized weapons and arrested 11 people, including senior opposition figures, over an alleged insurrection plot after last Thursday's presidential election. The government said opposition candidate Brian Mundubile was found at the scene of the raid in Lusaka, while top civil servant Patrick Kangwa said those detained were linked to military plans involving foreign nationals and illegal training camps. Kangwa said the suspects had high-grade military weapons, ammunition and other materials intended for an armed insurrection, and alleged that shots were fired at law enforcement officers before an exchange of fire. Mundubile called the raid an attempt on his life and said colleagues were shot in his presence. He had earlier claimed victory and alleged voting irregularities, while the authorities denied the claims. Zambia's electoral commission briefly suspended counting and announcing results on Friday, citing violence against polling staff and theft of marked ballot papers, before lifting the suspension later the same day.
