Hans Grundberg, the United Nations special envoy for Yemen, said in a statement on August 7 that the risk of a renewed large-scale conflict in Yemen has reached its highest level since the UN-brokered ceasefire in April 2022. According to Sina Finance, Grundberg said recent Houthi attacks in Marib and Hadhramaut reportedly caused heavy casualties, including among civilians, while renewed attacks on commercial shipping in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden, as well as strikes on civilian infrastructure such as airports, have further escalated regional tensions.

He said these developments could jeopardize the gains of the 2022 ceasefire, undermine the relative calm Yemen has maintained in recent years, and pull the country deeper into a wider regional confrontation, with catastrophic consequences for Yemenis. Grundberg added that over the past few weeks he had been in intensive contact with the parties in Yemen, relevant regional actors, and international partners to discuss concrete ways to de-escalate the situation and reverse the current trend. He said a diplomatic solution remains possible, but it requires the parties to show political will, make difficult choices, and engage in genuine dialogue.

Grundberg said diplomacy is the only realistic path to address the core concerns of the parties while delivering tangible benefits to Yemenis, including military de-escalation, improved economic conditions, freedom of movement for people and goods, and an inclusive political process to end the conflict at its root. He called on all parties to exercise maximum restraint, stop actions that could trigger military retaliation, and negotiate in good faith under UN auspices. He said that with support from regional actors and international partners, a political settlement for Yemen is still possible through diplomatic channels, and that the UN will continue to support the parties and stand with the Yemeni people in seeking a peaceful resolution.